From beaches to boulevards, shorts are your new summer staple - and there's a style to suit everyone. Shorts are polarizing. Yes, they’re a summer staple. But no, not everyone thinks they look good in them. Fear of camel toe and constant wedgies aside, shorts are necessary on a hot, humid summer day. And they can be versatile: A beat-up pair of Levi’s cutoffs always manages to look cool, while a fancy high-waisted style can be as polished as an A-line or pencil skirt — with less thigh chafing. And that doesn’t even count casual walking-the-dog shorts and any others in between.
It's not often that Homer can claim to have his finger on the pulse of one of fashion's biggest trends. (That's Homer Simpson, not the epic poet.) For spring, however, you won't go wrong if you imitate the episode in which the much-loved cartoon character dances around his living room to the Royal Teens, bellowing "I wear short shorts".
Which shape to pick? Longer, tailored cuts will prove flattering teamed with suit jackets; while striped and printed styles have an offbeat charm. Try leather with a pair of ankle-tie sandals and a loose blouse, or utility-themed varieties with a high-necked shirt. Unless you possess the anatomy of a gazelle, wear heels. Just make sure you can dance in them. Here are Vogue's favorite shorts trends to step out this summer:
- Utility Style Shorts come with patch pockets, high waisted designs, and cool cargo pockets.
- Sporty Shorts are cool when they look like running styles or the ones that look like the metallic shell.
- Striped Shorts come in ruffled cotton designs, gingham stripes, etc.
- Leather Shorts love the paperbag style, belted ones, high-waisted design.
- Tailored Shorts look cool if they appear as workwear design, high-waisted cotton or wide-leg style.
- Long Shorts are cool if they are linen, printed in Prince of Wales check or off-white ones with a belt.
- Bleached Denim. An upgrade of the typical jean short. Feel more appropriate for Summer and look fresh.
- White, they not practical for long term wear, but they do look feminine. Love the scalloped ones, as they are ideal for a brief day. They can be easily paired with wedges or metallic sandals for a summery chic look.
- Lace. These cute summer shorts are great for day or nighttime wear. Just find the ones in fun color and pair with simple tops and tees for a relaxed look. Short lace shorts look sexy and can be a perfect choice for parties.