What dresses we will wear this 2018? The trends for this year suggest various styles, colors and patterns. With a constant thread: a nostalgic penchant for vintage styles. Like the pretty 50s style dresses worn by Saoirse Ronan in Brooklyn, or the patterns sported by Duchess Sarah Ferguson in the 80s. A strong-hued déjà-vu with a few pastel tones. Dresses have become a staple for many during the warmer months. Not only do dresses allow your skin to breathe (which is key when there's heat and humidity), but they're versatile, too, as celebrity stylist Molly Dickson pointed out.
This year we will be seeing lots of cute sneakers paired with beautiful dresses. I like the juxtaposition of tomboy and girly. The other great thing about summer dresses is that they come in a wide range of styles, colours and patterns — from classic floral maxis to cute fit-and-flare frocks — and they eliminate the daily hassle of matching tops and bottoms. So if you're looking for some new frocks to add to your wardrobe, here are the best designs to try.
Of course, there are also more innovative styles that play with patchwork and layering, but the apron and baby doll dresses will be all the rage on the beach and in town. See in the gallery a selection of the best summer dresses spotted on the runway and follow our smart guide to choose the dress that will suit you best:
- The patterned summer dress, patchwork styles featuring different layered panels and patterns for a vibrant look. Try an oversized and light style also for work
- The check & plaid mania: not just for winter, as seen at Prada, where models wore ample pinafore dresses over polo shirts or lightweight blouses. A perfect multi-layered ensembleto flaunt come Spring.
- The oversized, lightweight dress. Perfect for those who are looking for comfort without sacrificing glamour.
- The shirtdress: a totally versatile garment, especially in classic white. It’s like a white canvas you can personalize with accessories.
- The floral dress: leave in your closet tropical prints and embrace botanical patterns. Pastel-hued micro florals are back.
- The polka dot dress: in our opinion, it’s the must-have piece for this Summer ( we already talked here about Emily Ratajkowski’s dress)
- The baby doll dress: from Chanel to Emporio Armani to John Galliano, many designers offered romantic mini dressesin lace, satin and tweed, perfect for a ‘Lolita’ look.
- The sequined dress: a go-anywhere and go-to piece for the Summer, see the long style from Attico in lavender tones, or the short cocktail dresses from Alcoolique and Halpern
- Wrap Front Maxi Dress is a perfect choice for ladies who want to be in center of everyone's attention without making critical moves.
- Linen Ruffle Tie Dress is a nice addition for women who want to make a wow effect with style
- Off-The-Shoulder Lace Dress is ideal for special events and for women who want to show off their beautiful bodies
- Button-Down Linen Midi Dress is a stylish update for semi-formal events
- Floral Fit & Flare Dress a nice design for everyday walks and casual weekends
- Button-Down Midi Shirt Dress
- Lace Midi Dress with Frill Sleeve
- Chevron Halter Dress
- Textured Weave Lace Dress
- Smock Fit-And-Flare Dress
- Plaid Fit & Flare Dress
- Frilled Striped Dress
- Cutout Maxi Dress